Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st August 2004, 11:51 AM

Hi All,
This is my first post.
I have followed the horses only (no dogs) for years, i feel i can ususlly pick a few winners and usually end up with enough play money for the week by betting saturdays for a couple of hours. I just need a little help to see what would be the best "simple" staking plan to use, i have access to online wagering, just a little nervous about starting off with a bank and how big i should need it to be.
Any help would be apprieciated,
Thanks in advance !
Old 31st August 2004, 01:42 PM

Go to "Search" at the top of the page.Click in "staking plans",,bingo,,some excellent choices from some well informed people.
Old 31st August 2004, 05:11 PM

cant go past - ORIGINAL RETIREMENT STAKING PLAN

http://www.grandstand.com.au/retirement.html

Old 31st August 2004, 07:35 PM

Davez, have been looking at this one recently, one thing has me worried about it is, if say a losing run was broken by a short priced winner then another long run of outs was hit, (even though overall, there is a level stakes profit) this would surely take some nerve,.... or have I not understood it correctly?
Old 31st August 2004, 09:48 PM

Partypooper, I think that any staking plan (and certainly level stakes) would lose under those circumstances. I'm a big fan of the retirement plan, and have been using it for a fair while.

The key to the plan, in my opinion, is to understand the role of the divisor, and to set up your betting strategy accordingly. I use the plan for "win" bets in my home state (Victoria) and again for interstate, and again for "place" betting, because my strike rate differs significantly for each. An accurate spreadsheet is a must.
Old 1st September 2004, 08:38 AM

Thanks heaps for your thoughts so far everyone, muchly apprieciated.
I have looked at the "retirement plan" as mentioned,...thanks for the link,
What (as i said i am new to this ) is the story with the increasing of the divisor, and am i assuming correctly that with this plan you are looking for a higher odds as you enter a loosing run, i cant quite seem to get my head around it.
One thing i did, and thats why im interested in a good staking plan, was to have 1440 bets in the period of Jan to Mar this year, only with 1/2 units, i kept track of ever one "on paper bets that is, no outlay yet" what i found was that on average, i could "pick" 44% of the winners, what worried me was that three times into this exercise i went 12, then 16, then 11 hypothetical bets without a strike,.... then whiska...i might get five in a row, do you guys and girls recon that 40-45 % strike rate would be ok to use with this retirement plan ? and if someone can sort of explain in laymans terms the two points in question.
By the way, the way i get the 44% strike rate (if that is any good) was to whatch the market move until the last 15-30 seconds whilst listening to the race, therefore avoiding any plunge in the market with scratchings, slow barrier entries etc, seemed to work ok,......thoughts on this???
Thanks again.
Old 1st September 2004, 10:17 AM

There is (and has been) a long discussion on Ausrace on the merits or otherwise of staking plans. Basically some swear by them; others maintain that if you can't make a profit on flat bets no staking plan will ever help. Myself, I am still undecided :???:

The debate, normally speaking, is about win betting. Has anyone any thoughs on applying a staking plan on place betting??? The relatively difficult task there, is, of course, that a loss takes a lot to recover from with such small dividends.
Old 1st September 2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
On 2004-08-31 19:35, partypooper wrote:
Davez, have been looking at this one recently, one thing has me worried about it is, if say a losing run was broken by a short priced winner then another long run of outs was hit, (even though overall, there is a level stakes profit) this would surely take some nerve,.... or have I not understood it correctly?

hi pp, i have found that it is working so well for me because my average price winner is about $5.50, & I rarely bet under 2/1.

I would think that it is probably not the best plan for following the shorties because as you point out any long runs of outs would see your bets escalate quickly.

But I would be lying if I said I havent found it to be a godsend, probably because of the discipline it added to my punting. As I tell everyone that will listen - picking them is one thing, backing them is another.

Old 1st September 2004, 02:53 PM

Hi Dingoboy - from my understanding the increasing of the divisor acts as a method of protecting your bank, so that once the divisor starts to increases the bets do not.

that is - my divisor is 9, after a run of 9 outs my bet is up to (for example) $50 & will stay there until i strike a winner or lose my bank (something i never come close to while using this plan).

As to your strike rate of 40-45%, this probably isn’t the important figure – what is your average dividend? If it is below say $3.50 - $3.00 this plan may not be your best bet.

Old 1st September 2004, 03:05 PM

If you hit 45% winners they must be around the $2 - $2.50 mark.

I doubt any staking plan will help improve your figures. Most seem to thrive on striking a long priced winner now and then to help loss recovery.

If you are winning at level stakes, stick to it.