Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th November 2013, 12:53 PM

The market is a bit more mature - sophisticated since back then eh, chaps?

Speed of dissemination of shared information, number of players - products - channels - size / number of pools we find ourselves treading water in etc etc. The battle to get a decent price = war on value is a hardened battled between the many foot soldiers and a small band of corporate mercenaries creating business-run 'killing machines' to take the rest of us out. The rest being the clever few in the know and/or nimble of foot?

My thoughts are to go 'back to basics' as Maggie's ex-treasurer - PM to be; 'laughing boy' Johny Major once said. Look where few still bother to look, make it based on common sense and hard evidence, strike when the iron is hot = the price is right and don't share your spoils or the toils to bag them, anywhere.. except with your closest pals.

That is the new battlefield for survival that we find ourselves in.

Lock n load, gentlemen.

Cheers LG

Last edited by Lord Greystoke : 16th November 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

Smile

Simple and still as easy to make a quid as it was 40 years ago.

Mind you it was a learning curve all the way through and still is.

There are consistent Form factors that just leap at you from every paper after so many years.

Its the intellectual stimulation I particularly like.

Last edited by darkydog2002 : 16th November 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Smile

The biggest mistake I learnt was thinking a Random Pattern of Racing over any period would reproduce itself in the future..
It cant and doesn,t.

Even back in the 60,s the successful Punters were telling us this very thing yet now the smarties are telling us the opposite..

I know which one I will go with.

Every race is totally different from the one before yet we think the same conditions apply.??????????

Last edited by darkydog2002 : 16th November 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:53 PM

So how do you make a quid out of it, Darkydog?
Old 16th November 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
The biggest mistake I learnt was thinking a Random Pattern of Racing over any period would reproduce itself in the future..
It cant and doesn,t.

Even back in the 60,s the successful Punters were telling us this very thing yet now the smarties are telling us the opposite..

I know which one I will go with.

Every race is totally different from the one before yet we think the same conditions apply.??????????

The "Random Pattern of Racing" still seems to throw up the same statistics over and over again for the favourites. While in the short term the favs stats fluctuate wildly, they still somehow revert back to the norm in the medium to long term.

― Earl Nightingale
Old 16th November 2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

Smile

Hi Clive,

I normally bet selected favs to Gross 4 % of my bank each bet betting to prices.But I will bypass race unless I get a Minimum $3.00

i.e $20000 bank X 4 % = Gross $800.

The only time I would even consider restructuring the bank size bet is when the bank increases by 50 %.
i.e $30000 X 4% Gross.

This works particularly well for me both bet size and Psychologically.

Cheers
darky
Old 16th November 2013, 07:27 PM

Cool

I think it so much easier to make a quid now than it was in the old days. Best tote, top fluc, betting exchange were not available then. Gifts from bookies to bet with them were unheard off. Bookies odds available in your own home - no way.
Seriously, if you can't make a go of it now you would have been chewed up and spat out in the "good old days".
Old 16th November 2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002

Depends on how you view a race.

All races contain a number of horses who have a chance of winning. In I use that definition of a race then every race is the same
Old 16th November 2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBen
I think it so much easier to make a quid now than it was in the old days. Best tote, top fluc, betting exchange were not available then. Gifts from bookies to bet with them were unheard off. Bookies odds available in your own home - no way.
Seriously, if you can't make a go of it now you would have been chewed up and spat out in the "good old days".

Agreed. The problem is people are generally lazier now though. To get the info 30 years ago meant collecting it yourself. Now its all presented to them.

This means the competition is more sophisticated yet still lazy. If you can go the extra step its not impossible for a monkey to profit on the punt.

I can do it and if my wife is to be believed a monkey is actually smarter then me (Its taken years and I still can't learn to put my clothes in the basket).
Old 16th November 2013, 10:14 PM

Evening UB.

That 5% POT target you mentioned (or thereabouts) really surprised me. I thought that with all your knowledge, systems, market sophistication, tools, bet/lay angles etc that you might be looking at a return somewhat bigger than that.

Shows you how much I know!

Cheers LG