Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > AFL Australian Rules Football Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st August 2005, 11:27 AM

Angry Umpires vs St.Kilda..

Apparantly there was a report on the Nine News last night that an umpire was reported to have said : "So this is what a win feels like.".

This happened on the plane home from the Saints/Freo game on Friday....

Will be interesting to see how far this gets investigated. If there is any proof, it could open up to big law suits from every angle...
In the scheme of things, it has the potential to cost St.Kilda a Grand Final appearance. Also many punters will be out of pocket. Also has the potential to lessen turnover with betting agencies, with less confidence from the punter.

I am not a believer in the word "should", but surely few can argue that St.Kilda weren't the best team on the night and all things being equal deserved a win, probably a comfortable win.

Now the umpires were clearly down on the Saints from the time they went into the rooms before the game. This was carried onto the field, and then the bragging about a win on the way home.

Now considering the circumstances of the week, a comment made like that by an umpire deserves a big investigation.

Questions need to be answered.....

Any thoughts, or things to add?
Old 21st August 2005, 02:58 PM

Here Here BJ,

I agree wholeheartedly, the Saints were the better team and several soft free kicks in front of goal were the difference at the end of the night. That said, the AFL will either refuse to investigate i.e pretend the comments were not made or made about something else, as i suppose they could have been, or they will be seen to investigate but nothing will come of it. Either way i don't see the AFL taking any action for fear of legal reprisal and the knock on effects with fans, clubs etc....

It's a pity that such a situation has to arise. At this stage the umpires should be well used to complainers and be able to ignore a "whinge" by a coach. They only vindicated what Grant Thomas said in the first place. Then again the media could just be seizing on an opportunity to create a story for themselves. Who knows, it will certianly be interesting to see how this all pans out.

That's my 2 cents, and 98 makes a dollar - your change Sir.
Old 22nd August 2005, 08:44 PM

See the news tonite?

AFL says "No Investigation"

hmmmm
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:41 PM

The reason that Fremantle won the game was because they scored 80 points and St Kilda only got 75. St Kilda looked the more dangerous, but were undone by a superior game plan, some bad luck with injuries, and some kicking in the last quarter that was worthy of Fremantle themselves. The umpires had nothing to do with it; they paid a lot of frees in front of goal because St Kilda were forced to infringe a lot in front of goal.
All of this is unusual for Fremantle. It was a great night for those of us with purple hearts. For a change the punters weren't dudded; the Dockers actually gave us a fair run for our money.

Nothing that happened last Friday night should be taken as a harbinger for what might happen this coming Saturday. It just doesn't work that way with Freo. All we can do is revel in last week's heroics and bite our fingernails over what may happen this week.
Old 24th August 2005, 11:38 AM

I am not denying that Fremantle won the game. I just question the worthiness of the win. Freo were close enough and the breaks went their way.

However the police are now involved in an investigation into the incident on the plane and also a new one before they boarded the plane.
New witnesses are stepping forward including well respected football man Eddie Maguire.
The commentators all game were crying foul and questioning the umpires. It is not just Saint fans.
Regardless of anything that happened on the field, the umpires in question need to be sacked. Comments like that made by an umpire are 100 times more detrimental than any comment made by Grant Thomas....

We will hear more from this.

As far as St.Kilda and Freo go though, they need to try and forget about anything other than themselves going into the next round.
=========================================

Please note:

At present it has not been proved that the umpire in question made the alleged comments. It is also NOT a police investigation. It is an AFL investigation.

Moderator.

Last edited by Moderator 3 : 24th August 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 24th August 2005, 09:57 PM

BJ - i have to take hombrage on one point you made.

Eddie "ADVERTISE COLLINGWOOD" Maguire 'a well respected football man'.

No, i'm afraid Eddie "Collingwood" McGuire is not a well respected football man. He may be a well respected journalist or perhaps a well respected TV man but footy, that's one stretch too far.

As for Mr Heavyweights comments re: Freo being the best team, were you and i watching the same game? Freo were not the better team and it took four free kicks in-front of goal and several injuries to key St Kilda players for you to get up, after the siren.

It was a disgrace watching it and it is a disgrace now.
Old 25th August 2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

What a bunch of fricken bull****************, i hope little nicky wont cry this time, wah wah wah...
Old 25th August 2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember
What a bunch of fricken bull****************, i hope little nicky wont cry this time, wah wah wah...

You are such a big tough man, and provide nothing but value to this forum. I wish so much to be like you.
Old 25th August 2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad
BJ - i have to take hombrage on one point you made.

Eddie "ADVERTISE COLLINGWOOD" Maguire 'a well respected football man'.

No, i'm afraid Eddie "Collingwood" McGuire is not a well respected football man. He may be a well respected journalist or perhaps a well respected TV man but footy, that's one stretch too far.
now.

Well, my point was merely that the witnesses weren't just some average Joe, sitting 6 rows back....