Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st December 2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default JD's Cricket thread

Some interesting matches starting this weekend.

International:

Aust $1.33
Draw $4.25
Paki $9.50

Australia seem to struggle with dead rubbers and face up to Pakistan on January 2nd for the third and final test match in a series already wrapped up by the all conquering Aussies. Pakistan are struggling with injuries. Mohammad Sami and Shoaib Malik are out of the 3rd Test and Abdul Razzaq is in hospital for observation with a mystery illness, Inzamam-ul-Haq has a back complaint but should be cleared to play. Australia look likely to make some changes with McGill and Watson comming into the squad, I believe Lehmann was given a reprieve by not being required to bat in the 2nd innings of the last game and he will get a start in the 3rd test. McGill will probably get a run at the expense of Kasperwicz and Watson will be 12th man.

As I will be at the opening days play I am hoping Australia bat first and set a big target for the Paki's.

RSA $?
DRW $?
ENG $?

South Africa Vs England in the third of a five test series, England go into the third game with a 1-0 lead. But I think South Africa has shown improvement in their cricket and as some of the newer players get more game time they can improve further. I think South Africa where complacent in their second appearance in the field, after bowling England out for 139 in the first innings it seemed as though they came out expecting the same in the second innings.
Not withstanding the form England have shown throughout 2004, I believe that South Africa is close to a win.

ING Cup:

Tas $2.10 Vs QLD $1.67 in a top of the table clash, could an upset be on the cards, QLD will be without Martin Love who has failed to recover fully from a finger injury sustained earlier in the season. QLD are 6 ponts clear of Tasmania on the ladder but have only one more win than the Taswegians plus two extra bonus points. Tasmania have the home ground advantage which I think will play a big part in their attempt to beat the Bulls.

Vic $1.45 Vs SA $2.60 . Victoria are 3 and 3 so far this year whereas SA have won 1 from 6 and are equal last on the table with a woeful NSW, (although they have played one more game than NSW). SA have excuses in that they are looking to the future and have blooded a lot of young players this year. I think a Victorian win at home is inevitable.

WA $1.78 VS NSW $1.95 . Brett Lee back into the side and playing at the WACCA, can he make the difference NSW has been so severly lacking this year. The WA side has performed quite well this year and are 3 and 2 they too are in the same position as NSW with a game in hand over the rest of the teams.
This is a must win game for NSW if they are to have any chance at a finals berth. Making the finals appears unlikely but a win here would not be beyond NSW don't write them off.

Prices from sportstab
Old 1st January 2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

My Views:

AUS: $1.20
DRAW: $4.50
PAK: $10.00

RSA: $2.50
DRAW: $2.80
ENG: $3.20

QLD: $1.30
TAS: $2.80

VIC: $1.75
SA: $1.95

WA: $1.45
NSW: $2.60
Old 1st January 2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels
Some interesting matches starting this weekend.

International:

Aust $1.33
Draw $4.25
Paki $9.50

Australia seem to struggle with dead rubbers and face up to Pakistan on January 2nd for the third and final test match in a series already wrapped up by the all conquering Aussies. Pakistan are struggling with injuries. Mohammad Sami and Shoaib Malik are out of the 3rd Test and Abdul Razzaq is in hospital for observation with a mystery illness, Inzamam-ul-Haq has a back complaint but should be cleared to play. Australia look likely to make some changes with McGill and Watson comming into the squad, I believe Lehmann was given a reprieve by not being required to bat in the 2nd innings of the last game and he will get a start in the 3rd test. McGill will probably get a run at the expense of Kasperwicz and Watson will be 12th man.

As I will be at the opening days play I am hoping Australia bat first and set a big target for the Paki's.

RSA $3.85
DRW $2.50
ENG $2.30

South Africa Vs England in the third of a five test series, England go into the third game with a 1-0 lead. But I think South Africa has shown improvement in their cricket and as some of the newer players get more game time they can improve further. I think South Africa where complacent in their second appearance in the field, after bowling England out for 139 in the first innings it seemed as though they came out expecting the same in the second innings.
Not withstanding the form England have shown throughout 2004, I believe that South Africa is close to a win.

ING Cup:

Tas $2.10 Vs QLD $1.67 in a top of the table clash, could an upset be on the cards, QLD will be without Martin Love who has failed to recover fully from a finger injury sustained earlier in the season. QLD are 6 ponts clear of Tasmania on the ladder but have only one more win than the Taswegians plus two extra bonus points. Tasmania have the home ground advantage which I think will play a big part in their attempt to beat the Bulls.

Vic $1.45 Vs SA $2.60 . Victoria are 3 and 3 so far this year whereas SA have won 1 from 6 and are equal last on the table with a woeful NSW, (although they have played one more game than NSW). SA have excuses in that they are looking to the future and have blooded a lot of young players this year. I think a Victorian win at home is inevitable.

WA $1.78 VS NSW $1.95 . Brett Lee back into the side and playing at the WACCA, can he make the difference NSW has been so severly lacking this year. The WA side has performed quite well this year and are 3 and 2 they too are in the same position as NSW with a game in hand over the rest of the teams.
This is a must win game for NSW if they are to have any chance at a finals berth. Making the finals appears unlikely but a win here would not be beyond NSW don't write them off.

Prices from sportstab

From the Age

Australia has omitted fast bowler Michael Kasprowicz and batsman Darren Lehmann from its team to play the third Test against Pakistan at the SCG on Sunday.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting announced that leg spinner Stuart MacGill and all-rounder Shane Watson had both been included in the side in a surprise move from the hosts as they attempt to secure and three-nil sweep of the series.

Kasprowicz can consider himself unlucky to lose his place after bowling superbly for Australia throughout the year while Lehmann's omission places his international future in jeopardy.

Ponting said Australia had opted to go for the team best suited to SCG conditions and the most likely to beat Pakistan again.

Ponting also said breaking the news to Kasprowicz and Lehmann was one of the hardest things he has had to do as skipper.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Shane Warne, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath, Stuart MacGill, Michael Kasprowicz (12th man).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there you have it Lehmann finally gone after a woeful batting display this summer, like the Age said Kasprowicz should feel unlucky but McGill was always going to get the nod at the SCG.

Last edited by Jack Daniels : 1st January 2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 1st January 2005, 03:14 PM

would it be wise to have a small wager on a pakistan win, considering our record in dead rubbers?
Old 1st January 2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpantha
would it be wise to have a small wager on a pakistan win, considering our record in dead rubbers?

BP I think it is going to take a big effort by the Paki's to beat us in the third test, considering the injuries they have sustained. But as is well known the Aussies have a bad record in dead rubbers, so I wouldn't put it passed the Paki's to pull off an upset and at $9.50 they are juicy odds.

I can't see myself having a bet on the Paki's to win but having a little something on the draw may be an option. I know they have predicted possible storms for Sydney tomorrow, here is what the weather channel say is happening over the next five days, weather forecasters are often way off so who knows til the day really.

Sunday - cloudy possible late showers (very late I hope, going to the game).
Monday - cloudy
Tuesday - thunderstorms
Wednesday - sunny
Thursday - showers

I think McGills inclusion in the Australian team playing at the SCG will be a big plus for Australia. Lehmann is out and Watson in. I hope he goes well. I'd have picked Katich over Watson but alas I am not a selector.
Old 1st January 2005, 11:16 PM

I backed the pakis in both tests so far but cant see them getting close considering their injurie problems. My predicted result, if we bat first Australia to win between 100 to 200 runs if they bat first Aussies by 3to 5 wickets .
Old 2nd January 2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Angry

Time to have a big gripe, i feel

The selectors are a COMPLETE JOKE! Alright, if you want a 2nd spinner, then why not take someone who has carried the drinks in IND and SRL, like Cameron White. This guy can also bat No.6 as opposed to Macgill down at 11. Macgill has more long hops that Bob Beamon and doesn't drift it either.

I don't know what the selectors want from Watson either. Do they not no past scores? and that in the last 5 years at the SCG there hasn't been a match without a team scoring 450 or more in an innings. Its turning into an extremely long and frail tail, with 7. Watson 8. Warne 9. Gillespie 10. McGrath 11. MacGill. Alot seems to ride on the performance of the top 5 + Gilchrist.
If they want to drop a batsman, in lehmann, then why don't they replace him with a batsman, instead of greatly weakening our batting line up with a bowler who has never taken a wicket as the SCG in o.d.i s without going for more than 70 runs! Katich seems the obvious replacement, scoring 52, 125 + 77* in his only 3 bats at the SCG @ an average of 84.67! - He has also taken 6/65 in one of his only two bowling efforts there!

hmmmmmm...this might turn out to be quite an intersesting game

MY VIEW (if we bat first): AUS 442 (Langer 109 - Gilchrist 100 - Kaneria 6/122) PAK 374 (Youhana 88 - Ul-Huq 94 - Gillespie 3/62 - Clarke 2/13)

thats the 1st inns anyway...

Chuck
Old 2nd January 2005, 09:37 AM

I agree that it's weird, but at least they are changing something and not just sticking to a 'winning team'. Katich should have already been in the team anyway, but he should definitely be a starter at the SCG. The funny thing is that if he was a fast-medium bowler instead of a spinner, he'd be a certain starter. They're definitely looking for an all-rounder who bowls fast medium and bats 6 or 7. I'm fairly confident that Watson will make a good Test and One-day player in the future. Just don't know about now though. One good thing is that it gives us 5 bowlers. I always feel that our tactic of only using 4 bowlers puts too much pressure on them.
Old 2nd January 2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Talking

Australia $1.28
Too Skinny for this little black Rabbit
Wait till Australia get out
Last week you could have got $1.55 at one stage
Dont think we need Mac Gill or Watson,its elementary really
Cheers
Old 2nd January 2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

I don't think i've ever seen Warney drop a catch, let alone one as easy as that! And Gilly the same thing next ball! Dizzy had 2 plays and misses + two regulation nicks from his first 4 balls.