Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > AFL Australian Rules Football Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st March 2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

Default AFL home grounds...

Might as well do this now. One big problem I had last year that cost me potential profits was the neutral grounds AFL uses. From what I remember last year, Saints have a true HFA (home ground advantage) at the TD vs other melbourne teams. Did the bombers have a true HFA at the MCG? etc etc. It'd be good to get a discussion going (esp for me ).

This has to be pretty unfair. A team like saints will play maybe 3/4 of their games at their home ground?
Old 1st March 2005, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Mr. J.
It's more of the crowd swaying the umpires opinion in close decisions,and the travelling time the away team needs to deal with that are important.
Home ground advantage would apply if Port Adelaide played St.Kilda at the MCG.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:01 PM

Bombers and Saints both have excellent records at TD.

Now, because they play there so much, there records at outdoor grounds in poor conditions is no good-that's something you wanna watch Mr J.
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:04 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookie
Bombers and Saints both have excellent records at TD.

Now, because they play there so much, there records at outdoor grounds in poor conditions is no good-that's something you wanna watch Mr J.

Sorry, cant agree with that. The saints are awesome at the Dome and virtually unbeatable but there record is far from "no good" outdoors.
The Bombers in fairness to you probly struggle in really wet conditions but when it's dry outdoors I reckon our record is ok.
Old 4th March 2005, 06:43 PM

Well, you can disagree, but, you won't convince anyone without some proof.

I'd say a record of 4 wins 8 losses is no good-that's StKilda's record away from TD last year.

That includes a loss to the WBD at the MCG in the rain when long odds on.
Old 5th March 2005, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Rain is a great leveller for all teams.
Teams with great ball handling skills a going to have problems in wet weather.

But Mr J.
I will put up my home advantages up somewhere in this forum so you can get an idea of what they should be on a game by game basis.
Can't guarantee their accuracy,but they will get close more often than not.
At least a guide for you to make your judgements.
Old 5th March 2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.

Derbies are neutral games, but I've either got to count it as a home game for both or away game for both, home would be the better choice?
Old 6th March 2005, 11:52 AM
Former Member

They are still home games because the home members get preference for tickets but in the case of the Saints don't back against them at the Telstra Dome under any circumstances!!
Old 6th March 2005, 12:10 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookie
Well, you can disagree, but, you won't convince anyone without some proof.

I'd say a record of 4 wins 8 losses is no good-that's StKilda's record away from TD last year.

That includes a loss to the WBD at the MCG in the rain when long odds on.

St.Kilda's record in 2004 was 16-6. So I don't know where you get 4-8 from outdoors and let's analyse there record away from Telstra Dome

rd4- Beat a fired up Crows at Footy Park who had lost there first 3 matches and threw everything at the Saints

rd7- Beat the Dockers easily in Perth when everyone was saying it was impossible to win in Subiaco

rd11- First loss for the year to the Swans at the S.C.G who played inspired footy

rd 12- Loss to the Doggies at the M.C.G. Bad loss, but I went to that game that day and they were flat as a tack.

rd 14- Loss to Port Power at York Park, Port were simply too good and Thomas was badly outcoached.

RD 15- Loss to the Demons who were flying and the saints were in the middle of a little slump.

RD 18- Loss to the cats at Kardinia Park by 7 points in probly the game of the year.

RD 19- Saints d Crows at York Park

Rd 21- Saints loss to LIONS at the Gabba.

So away from Telstra Dome there outdoors record was 3-6 but a few of those losses they wouldnt have expected to win anyway.
Having said all that The Sainters are probly 5 goals better at Telstra Dome, I just don't think they are poor outdoors. They were pretty ************ good beating the Swans in there first final at the MCG in freezing cold conditions and lost to the Power at Footy Park in a prelim by a kick.

Sorry, just worked out where 4-8 comes from, you included finals.
Old 6th March 2005, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug punta
Sorry, just worked out where 4-8 comes from, you included finals.

Well, those games are kinda important.

I won't be tipping anybody to beat St Kilda at the dome this year, but away from there, things are different. For mine, that's the only reservation I have about them winning the premiership. The finals are played at the MCG, not the Dome. If finals were played at the Dome, they'd be specials.