Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th January 2005, 08:03 PM

Yeah, thought as much. Your posts just didn't sound like a woman.

I'm sure you're real glad about that!
Old 6th January 2005, 08:09 PM

Lightbulb

NIce pick up knowledge.
Apologies BETSY, nice to have you aboard anyway.
Old 8th January 2005, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
Word of warning. Sometimes just the basic stats like kicks and handballs don't tell the full story.
I mean, just going purely on stats, Chris Judd is a good player but certainly nothing outstanding.

Yes Sportz,some good comments as usual.
Firstly,I have mentioned the Champion Data Rankings that are available in a Melbourne newspaper.
A couple of guys sit and watch the replays of games and credit players stats with a much more accurate analysis of what each stat was worth.
Less points for easy marks,more for contested ones.No points for the rubbish stats.
Hopefully the newspaper will continue to publish these ratings.
I still haven't got them into my database as it is very time consuming.

What I will do is to add up the total of each players Champion game rating.Divide that total into the rating that I give the team for that particular match.Then multiply this number by the players individual Champion rating to give a final computer rating.

And I may be reading your comment on Juddy wrongly,but he really is an outstanding player Sportz!
Old 8th January 2005, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Do you also believe you can keep records on over 400 players?

I don't need to keep the actual stats,much the same way as Don Scott,non-football personality,used to represent a horses perfomance by a single weight rating.
Once the game has been analyzed there will be only a final ratings figure for each player for each game.The actual stats that occurred will no longer be necessary.
Old 8th January 2005, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR RON
Moeee, the way Richmond buggarise around with it your rankings for them would be out every week. Lots of stats getting to the forward 50 and then nothing on the end of it.

Yes Doctor.
But the rating will not only reflect the number of possesions.
I have noticed many a game where the losing team had fewer or similar number of possessions.
I intend to link the possessions to the actual score scored and also to the quality of the opposition.
Like Richmond beating Bulldogs wouldn't be worth as much as them beating the Lions.
And also plenty of stats against Brisbane but still coming out with a hiding will also be allowed for in the players ratings being downgraded.
Old 8th January 2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeee
And I may be reading your comment on Juddy wrongly,but he really is an outstanding player Sportz!

Yeah, you were reading it wrongly.

I know he's an outstanding player, but that's what I mean. Just going by the regular stats, he's a good player but nowhere near as good as he appears when you watch the games. If you're right about how they do those rankings you talk about, then it could be a good idea.
Old 8th January 2005, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Well Sportz,nice to see we agree on Judd's capabilities.

And with the ratings I have been through so far,which is round 8 - 2004,It came up with Simon Black as best the player.Second best was Warren Tredrea with no sign of Chris Judd.
So maybe Juddy ain't as complete a player as I figured.More of a sprinter rather than a stayer!
Old 8th January 2005, 10:27 AM

Well, as a Brisbane fan, I know that Judd cuts us up every damn time we play them. I think he's a brilliant player and I did actually back him in the Brownlow last year. Having said that, I was totally stunned that he got twice as many votes as Tredrea who I thought was great last year. I really only backed Judd because he was the sole midfielder out of the 3 players I liked (Judd, Tredrea, Reiwoldt) and once again, the umpires continued their tradition of only noticing midfielders.
Old 8th January 2005, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Default Do you see what I see?

And that's the key Sportznut.
When you make a selection,what are you actually trying to do?
For the Brownlow you are not trying to pick the best player,but the most noticeable player.Although Riewoldt is fairly conspicuous,but didn't poll all that well.
Anyway,I am going to use my player ratings and compare the players rating with what that player rated when he last played against the opposition.
Because,as we all know,some teams play much better against certain teams.Sydney and West Coast always play well against Brisbane.

Sportz.I miss Goldmember.Do you?
Old 8th January 2005, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I hope he at least comes back for the Football season, so he can take part in the tipping comps. I liked the stats that he posted for us for each game and he was pretty good with Basketball tips too.

Last edited by Sportz : 8th January 2005 at 11:33 AM.