Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 20th December 2004, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Default Why do we gamble?

Speaking for myself,considering I am well aware of the vast fortune I have dribbled away over the last 30 years,I obviously am not in it too make money.
Maybe I am too much a coward to risk my limbs on participating in physical endeavours so I get my adrenalin rush from betting.
I can probably find a hundred reasons to quit gambling,but could someone please give me some support and state a reason why I should continue.
Am I the only loser on this forum?
And if not,what keeps you other losers cheerful in your losses?
Old 20th December 2004, 10:25 PM

I gamble for fun and to occupy myself, if I have spare time and spare money I like to have a bet. It's that simple, and winning is exciting.

I lose more money than I win but I win more bets than I lose. I just bet too bigger amount sometimes which costs me in the long run, I'm learning though.

I also have a lot of interest in sport and I follow all soccer, NBA, tennis, AFL, NRL, boxing, NBL and have a small interest in NFL (not that I like or have any interest in the sport - don't understand it either).

I can't imagine life without gambling.

(...all those paragraphs begin with 'I'.)
Old 21st December 2004, 12:42 AM
Banned

I am in it for the excitement too. I get a real buzz out of a win, obviously the losses are not so great, but over time I am learning also.

As Knowledge said, I love sport and having a bet on the side adds a little extra incentive to either attend some of the games we bet on or watch them on the idiot box. At the very least keep an eye on the results or follow the live scores on the internet.

Sports I love are: Rugby League, Rugby Union, Soccer, AFL, Cricket, Snowboarding and Skiing, Moto GP, F1, Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Gridiron.

I used to play league, cricket and soccer when I was younger, I have always had a love for motorbikes and grew up around them and riding them, I still play golf, tennis ocassionally and may continue snowboarding next year (I will have to see how the leg heals after a major break in July this year).

Anyway I am starting to waffle on a bit.

So I will finish up by saying: Enjoy the bet you have and rate your win/loss according to the circumstances leading to the result. You are not in control of anything other than placing your bet. Be aware of this and you will enjoy it!
Old 21st December 2004, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Knowledge.
When you have a bad losing day,do you feel depressed or angry?
I do.
And that is the part I seem to find is ruining the enjoyment.
Perhaps I am betting more than I can afford?
Old 21st December 2004, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels
So I will finish up by saying: Enjoy the bet you have and rate your win/loss according to the circumstances leading to the result. You are not in control of anything other than placing your bet. Be aware of this and you will enjoy it!

Jack Daniels.Could you just explain a little bit more about this paragraph?
I think there is something powerful lurking in there that I can't quite see.

And one more thing about my gambling.
My favourite gambling event is AFL footy,but I sort of would lose any interest in the sport if there were no facilities for betting available.
Old 21st December 2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeee
Knowledge.
When you have a bad losing day,do you feel depressed or angry?

yep. I hate it. but when that happens i go back to drawing board and see where i went wrong. the loss is probably due to carelessness, otherwise it's just unlucky. either way i hate losing but im getting better.

i reckon if i had a betfair account i'd make heaps of money, particularly with the 'lay' option.

Jack Daniels: i read u broke ur leg.. thats not good. how did it efect ur life and how long did it take to heal? i just broke my right arm and is very annoying.
Old 21st December 2004, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledge
but when that happens i go back to drawing board and see where i went wrong. the loss is probably due to carelessness, otherwise it's just unlucky. either way i hate losing but im getting better.

i just broke my right arm and is very annoying.

Yes you are right knowledge.
The drawing board is where I go too,but I tend too make too many changes and lose my money for different reasons.
I will now attempt to change only one thing at a time.

Good luck with your left hand Knowledge.Hope it doesn't get too messy for you.
Old 21st December 2004, 11:05 AM

thanks mate
Old 21st December 2004, 12:49 PM

Red face

geez guys winning isnt every thing and if we didnt lose what fun would there be in winning i think i get buzz from it because there is bigger chance of losing so when i win it gives you that rush,im now bored with punting all thou im making money out of it not much but it,s gotten boring i dont take the risks i used to no more plunges on the good thing of the day computer does all the work and takes all the fun out of it,but every now and then i say f**k it and have a crack and do my ********,and the missus says ur on the couch.
i bet all you guys could mark off 3 bets for the day and come out winning 9 out of ten times. but no fun cause your only having 3 bets if ur anything like me i want to bet on every race.
Old 21st December 2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

Wink

Moeee I like to invest rather than gamble.The main thing I have learnt is to restrict your bets.There are people at my tab who bet on every race on a Saturday so even if you win a few you would probably come out behind.I have been an emotional gambler/investor in the past and have got annoyed if a favourite horse or sporting team lost.I was a big LONHRO fan and have had to endure 2 lost Cox Plates as well as the Lions occasional loss.See Moeee we should be like SPORTZNUT he has no emotional centre in his brain whatsoever and he bets accordingly.He follows the Lions but bets against them all the time.I got off the track a bit,treat your gambling as fun ,if you lose a bit dont be too concerned,if you constantly lose have a rethink.I dont lose as much as I did when I was younger because I look for more information
about a horses form or AFL team etc.Sometimes its better to watch and wait
Cheers